SO, YOU WOULD LIKE TO BECOME A LICENSED GUIDE...
An outline for obtaining your NYS License to Guide
1) Print the application and other forms using the provided links below
a) Complete application and submit with payment to DEC
2) The following are required for obtaining a NYS guide license. It is not necessary to complete all of these requirements before taking the guide exam.
a) Adult CPR (or equivalent)
b) Standard First Aid (or equivalent)
c) Basic Water Safety (or equivalent)
d) Physicians statement of physical fitness
3) Register with the DEC to take the exams in the guiding disciplines you are interested in providing guide services for.
4) Following your exam, DEC will notify you of the results. If successful you will be instructed to submitur CPR, First Aid, Water Safety certification cards, any other outstanding prerequisites, and your outstanding licensing fees.
5) Once processed you will receive your License to Guide from the DEC.
6) Once you get your NYS Guide License we welcome you to join NYSOGA and help fellow guides promote safe and ethical guiding in New York State.
7) Each March, NYSOGA hosts a 4-day Winter Rendezvous event. It is possible for aspiring guides to take the 3 certification classes required for the guide license and guide exam during this event. As a bonus NYSOGA offers a guide license prep and review class during the Rendezvous time. (Please note that updated information for the Rendezvous is generally posted to the NYSOGA website during the month of December prior to the Rendezvous.)
Below are individual links to files you can download and print as part of your preparation for obtaining your guides license:
NYSOGA New York State Outdoor Guide Association
1936 Saranac Avenue, Suite 2 - 150, Lake Placid, NY 12946
1-866-4NYSOGA (1-866-469-7642) ·
· Web Site: www.nysoga.org